- Black Protest in US News Wire Stories 1994-2010: Voices From the Doldrums. 2017. [SocArXiv]
- MPEDS: Automating the Generation of Protest Event Data. 2017. [SocArXiv]
- Dual Screening During Presidential Debates: Political Nonverbals and the Volume and Valence of Online Expression. 2016. American Behavioral Scientist. 60(14):1816-1843. [Link]
- Coproduction or cooptation? Real-time spin and social media response during the 2012 French and US presidential debates. 2016. French Politics. 14(2): 206-233. [Link]
- Candidate Networks, Citizen Clusters, and Political Expression: Strategic Hashtag Use in the 2010 Midterms. 2015. The ANNALS of the American Academy of Political and Social Science 659(1): 149-165. [PDF]
- The Power of Television Images in a Social Media Age: Linking Biobehavioral and Computational Approaches via the Second Screen. 2015. The ANNALS of the American Academy of Political and Social Science 659(1): 225-245. [PDF]
- Developing a System for the Automated Coding of Protest Event Data. 2014. [SSRN]
- Computer-aided content analysis of digitally-enabled movements. 2013. Mobilization: An International Quarterly 18(4): 367-388. [PDF]
Conference Papers with Proceedings
- Partisan alignments and political polarization online: A computational approach to understanding
the French and U.S. presidential elections. In Politics, Election, and Data Workshop (PLEAD). San
Francisco, CA. November 1, 2013. [PDF]
- Mapping the political twitterverse: Candidates and their followers in the midterms. In Proceedings of the Fifth International
AAAI Conference on Weblogs and Social Media (ICWSM). Barcelona, Spain. July 17-21, 2011. [PDF]
- Being transgender on the academic job market. 2017. Reflections on Academic Lives: Identities, Struggles, and Triumphs in Graduate School and Beyond, eds. Staci Zavattaro and Shannon Orr. [Link]
- Everyday Political Talk Online. 2015. Handbook of Digital Politics, eds. Stephen Coleman and Deen Freelon. [Link]
Other Writing and Media
- Finger on the Twitter? U of T expert analyzes @realDonaldTrump, U of T news, January 9, 2017.
- Being Transgender on the Job Market, Inside Higher Ed, July 15, 2016.
- Roller derby doesn't enforce gender separation and women still rule the sport, The Guardian, August 19, 2015.
- The Signal and the Noise in Middle East Elections (with Kevan Harris), Foreign Policy, December 15, 2013.
- Visualizing the War on Women Debate (with Marc Smith), Foreign Policy (July/August 2012)
- An Egyptian Spring and a Wisconsin Winter in We Are Wisconsin: The Wisconsin uprising in the words of the activists, writers, and everyday Wisconsinites who made it happen, edited by Erica Sagrans
- Fridays in Tahrir Square, The News International (August 2011)
- Wisconsin and Egypt: A tale of two uprisings, The Isthmus (July 2011)
- On the Madison-Cairo link, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (March 2011)